QSO UK
Welcome to QSOUK the forum for all radio users.
Sign in and enjoy No Adverts, Members Gallery and a Chat Room.

The QSOUK Team

Antron 99 exsposed.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Antron 99 exsposed.

Post by daxi on Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:04 am

DX Zone link.

I knew for a fact that the
marketing hype was horribly overstated. Even IF you were to design a true 1/2 wave over 1/4 wave stacked
dipole antenna, you would not get 9.9-dBi gain on the horizon. But just in case there really was some
'voodoo' happening inside the Antron 99, I had to see what it was. As you can see, the Antron 99 has no
voodoo at all. The Antron 99 is just a 1/2 wave end fed dipole with extra capacitive coupling to isolate the
antenna base from high voltages in case the installer happens to drop it across power lines and the radiator
happens to make contact with high voltage
So what is the TRUE gain of the Antron 99? Assuming a 1/2 wave shunt fed dipole in free space, minus the
losses associated with the series capacitance and inductance, according to my math, the Antron 99 has 1.8
dBi gain. That is to say, the Antron 99 has 1.8 dB gain on the horizon over an isotropic radiator.
Referenced to a center fed 1/2 wave dipole, which is the industry standard, the Antron 99 has a
NEGATIVE gain of 0.3 dB.

daxi
Admin
Admin

Call Sign : M0LSX
Special Event Calls : Various.
Registration date : 2007-10-30
Number of posts : 764

http://www.qrz.com/M0LSX

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: