QSO UK
Welcome to QSOUK the forum for all radio users.
Sign in and enjoy No Adverts, Members Gallery and a Chat Room.

The QSOUK Team

newbie no idea

View previous topic View next topic Go down

newbie no idea

Hello my names Daniel from Grimsby. I have just joined this group because i want to learn about this hobby.
I have a scanner and a Hf set which i use for monitoring air traffic but am becoming increasingly interested in the ham side of the hobby. I would like to join my local club however unfortunately i work when they meet. I hope this wont hamper my taking the foundation licence if i decide too.
Quick question. What sort of frequencies are best to listen to to hear some chatter? I've tried listening into the local cb frequencies but hear very little.
Cheers Daniel Very Happy

spidan

Registration date : 2010-10-05
Number of posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

newbie no idea :: Comments

Post on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:25 pm by daxi

Hello Daniel & welcome to the forum.
Have you spoken too anyone at Grimsby ARS? or Brigg & District ARC? I know BDARC is as active on SWL & CB as is is on ham bands, so I am surprised that there is no CB activity around there.
http://www.bdarc.co.uk/
http://www.gars.org.uk/
I have spoken to members of both clubs at various times & have to say you are lucky in that area to have two such good clubs, but it looks like both meet on a Thursday.
Bands to listen too.... 80 meters, 40 meters & 20 meters are the busiest.
80 is inter G, local UK traffic mainly.
40 is inter G & close continent. Mainly
And 20 has very little or no G traffic, but lots of distance traffic.
As for training, normally that's over two days at the weekend with the exam on the second day.
What are your radios?

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:07 am by spidan

OK I have heard a couple of voices today on CB and listened to some HF last night.
As for radios all i have got at moment are two scanners, UBC3500XLT and an Icom R5, and two HF sets (DX394 and a eton e5). Nothing to transmit with at the moment. I am considering getting a CB rig to start with because its cheap and can just jump in. My aim is to go through all 3 licences.
Its a pain in the butt working every Thursday, Friday, Saturday.
I take it after earning the foundation licence most people would start off with a 2m/70cm vhf radio rather than HF due to the costs.
How do you go about choosing a radio?

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:24 am by daxi

What people start with is entirely up to them & is based in part upon where they live & in part on what budget they have.
Some people never operate VHF, some never operate HF.
Living in Linconshire VHF should be good for you & like me, on the the other side of the Wash, you should get plenty of continental FM operation during the summer.There is also an excellent repeater that I can access from Hunstanton that covers from about Peterborough up to Doncaster. (GB3LM) Output 145.7250.
You could also get GB3HS (145.6500.) And possibly FR on 145.7750.
If you are listening for CB on the 3500, then you will not hear much, as most VHF scanners are not brilliant there. But nice scanner, I have one & it's excellent.
Antennas are the key with any listening.

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:29 am by daxi

spidan wrote: How do you go about choosing a radio?
For me my first amateur radio was based upon what I could afford, so I started with a very cheap 40 channel 2 meter radio, a cheap CB mag mount & power supply & my scanning discone which worked on 2 & 70.
I then brought radios, ATU's etc I could afford to get me on HF & just continued to collect & change.
A mobile 2 meter & a 5 amp CB power supply & CB mag mount, together with an amateur 2 meter antenna for mobile & home will get you onto 2 meters both mobile & homebase for very little money (100 max if you buy secondhand.)

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:48 am by 2E0ZMO

welcome to the forums and the hobby

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum