QSO UK
Welcome to QSOUK the forum for all radio users.
Sign in and enjoy No Adverts, Members Gallery and a Chat Room.

The QSOUK Team

Morning all :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Morning all :)

Hey all, as you can guess im billie Razz from essex UK

Just starting into the ham world, looking to get licensed as soon as able too but night work makes social time fun..

Been a fan of simons tubes and it brought me here...

Currently have a tti TCB-550 CB 27/81cb radio (came as a kit for 70 out of the local maplins) tho looking at getting a ranger or hans dx for 11m and DX ssb.

as with all hobbies i can see this being an expensive one so always looking for bargins.. but end of the day this is what we do for fun eh lol

73's to all

Billie

billie.skeggs

Registration date : 2011-05-06
Number of posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

Morning all :) :: Comments

Post on Fri May 06, 2011 9:38 pm by daxi

Hello Billie & welcome to the site. The hobby is only as expensive as you want it to be. My first amateur radios were a dual band (2 & 70) handheld as a christmas present & a 20 2 meter, very old mobile radio, that I connected to a cheap CB mag mount & cheap 10 2 meter whip & checked via a 30 HF to 2 meter SWR meter.
I still own all the above.
My HF radios are a FT817 (non DSP model) which cover HF, VHF & UHF at 5 watts cost 200. FT857 coverage as per the 817, but at 100 watts cost 200, an Icom 100 watts SSB/CW HF only 200. Yaesu valve radio power output about 200 watts, cost 30.
I also have a complete 6 meter set up, Yaesu FT690, small linear, MFJ ATU/SWR meter & antenna that was given to me, several old Pye radios that have been given to me or were brought for less than 30, a few cheap chinese VHF & UHF handhelds that were brought for about 30 including postage & a few other bits & pieces that I have been given / collected down the years.
Start simple, buy amateur radios rather than CB's as they are cheaper. For example my amateur band only 10 meter radio cost me 100 & my amateur converted CB cost 20. Had the CB been unconverted it would probably have cost 30 to 40 & had the 10 meter radio been CB expanded possibly twice what I paid.
I have worked 20 plus stations in a couple of hours on my FT817 connected to a 20 20 meter mobile whip mounted on a 10 -15 CB mag mount.. Total cost under 250, so don't get dazzled by shiney boxes & exspensive miracles.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon May 09, 2011 4:07 am by porky.69

hi and welcome Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum